The temporary forum for VC Godalming & Haslemere

SRAM X9 Shifters

stevep

SRAM X9 Shifters

Post  stevep on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi, thought I would share my experiences with you all, if you are unfortunate enough to decide to take your X9 shifters apart then the link below is quite good at showing you where all the springs go, mine kind of looked like a tom and jerry clock with springs all over the shop. of course you're all probably less ham fisted than me!! anyway six hours later and still they're not right.

Disassembly

assembly
    ChrisH

Re: SRAM X9 Shifters

Post  ChrisH on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:04 pm

I've got a set kicking about that are still intact if you get desperate and want to do a dissection/reconstruction type thing. Of course the result might be 4 piles of shifter debris rather than two but think of the excitement!
    On_One_Ti_456

Post  On_One_Ti_456 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:12 am

Do you guys prefer SRAM shifters/rear mech combo over a Shimano equivalent? I've been toying with the idea of changing over from XT to X9. Good or bad idea?

ian

Post  ian on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:49 pm

x9 pulls twice as much cable so theory says it should keep in adjustment for longer. But how often do you need to tweak XT
    ChrisH

Post  ChrisH on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I really didn't get on with X9 hence im now using XT with a shadow rear mech. The jockey wheels on X9 are made our of milk bottle tops - i think a bad design for the UK. Tacx do a set with bearings rather than the bushing type thing. Before i could get any though the rear mech had worn out so i binned it. I also found the cables had to be squeaky clean or you lost half your gears. I know other people really like Sram stuff but i wasn't impressed - give me shimano any day!

stevep

Post  stevep on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks Chris, I may take you up on that, cycleworks have got the right pod at the moment, will see how they get on. lifes to short to be taking them apart again.

I really like the X9/XO setup on my epic, but that was before the new shimano stuff came out, SRAM has a nice positive shift to it, but horses for course i think.

There's a kona frame hanging on my wall, which will either be single speed or if I geared it i'd put shimano on, they just seem more straight forward and easier to change cables etc, X9 upshift paddle gets slippy with long gloves on too. The daft cover release screw lets too much clag in too, hhmmmmm, there's a trend developing here.
    On_One_Ti_456

Post  On_One_Ti_456 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:32 am

Hmmm, looks like I'll stick with XT! If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:12 am

i got a good deal from cycleworks haslemere on some x9 stuff and so am giving it a go on my stumpy as I fancied a change. Haven't ridden it yet as bike is in storage whilst i sort out my new shed/2nd home. I liked the very positive gear change - thanks for the tip on the jocky wheels Chris.

schpleep

Post  schpleep on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 am

another vote for SRAM from me: I run X9 (with Nokon cables) on my Intense and they're pretty much faultless. As far as I can tell my replacements have all been due to crash damage (user error?) not wear and tear. As has been said above a good solid gear change and I find them much easier to set-up and index. Also, as the only cable control is at the bars, it's easier to fine tune (if necessary) when riding.

These were all the reasons I used to fit RED on my cross bike: so far all of the above applies to their road kit too Smile

L

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:56 am