The temporary forum for VC Godalming & Haslemere

MTB - Update

Mark
    Admin

MTB - Update

Post  Mark on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 am

Just to keep everyone in the loop.

1. After 5 years or so as MTB sec/Club Director/various other hats, I resigned last week as a director (and am stepping down as MTB sec as part of that as required by the constitution). I'm still riding/leading with the club and organising occasional training sessions/trailbuilding for interested members.

2. An automated email/calendar system like the old website had is planned (thanks Dave Nyss). Unless someone else steps in with an interim solution (until the new website emails ride details from a calendar) we are no longer sending ride emails as so many of them get spam blocked (mostly because of the way we do it). Instead you can see when sunday or saturdayrides are and starting from by looking at the calendar and then view the usual ride details in this forum (as we have been doing). This will hopefully encourage MTBers to use the forum more. Strangely, even though ride numbers are up/constant, the Forums are relatively quiet (a sign of the times....?)

3. This temporary forum will eventually be replaced by one internal to the new website.

4. The New Website will shortly sit on the proper URL.

5. Nick Burke remains in charge of organising the Sunday Rides schedule. I am hoping that Lee will have the time to put together the annual Saturday riding plan with Chris in time for 2010 (I'll probably do the Swinley Saturdays again and open them up to non-members as usual).

6. We need more ride leaders to try and acheive our 4 rides per year per person target. Post here (now) if you would like to lead a ride (even if once a year)

7. We still meet on the first tuesday of each month for a beer in the Red Lion, Godalming (just MTBers). I won't be around for the monthly pub eve tomorrow eve as I'm away tue-thurs riding the Ridgeway for a CTC article (I really really hope it doesn't rain....)
    On_One_Ti_456

Re: MTB - Update

Post  On_One_Ti_456 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the effort you've put in over the years, Mark. You've done a sterling job organising us all drunken

Glad to here we'll be getting an automated email/calendar system on the new site. I spoke to a few of the guys on the ride at the weekend and I think this is the prefered method of finding out about rides. Will there be be an email sent out to inform people that they now have to look on the website/forum to find out whats occuring at the weekend.

Have a good time on the Ridgeway (at least you won't get lost Razz )).

Greg

TonyWard

Post  TonyWard on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:58 am

Mark,

not been as involved for as long or as much as others here but echo Greg's thanks - you led my first trip to Swinley!

One thing to possibly bear in mind in designing the new calendar is that the firewalls at work block the MTB calendar on the old site and the new one (I assume it is something to do with Google spreadsheets). The road calendar comes up fine.
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:55 pm

On_One_Ti_456 wrote:Thanks for all the effort you've put in over the years, Mark. You've done a sterling job organising us all drunken

Thanks Greg!

Glad to here we'll be getting an automated email/calendar system on the new site. I spoke to a few of the guys on the ride at the weekend and I think this is the prefered method of finding out about rides. Will there be be an email sent out to inform people that they now have to look on the website/forum to find out whats occuring at the weekend.

hopefully Dave J will pick up on this on a newsletter due out soon. A de-centralised proactive reminder was always a good idea and a large part of the success for VCG.

Have a good time on the Ridgeway (at least you won't get lost Razz )).
    Actually signing is pretty bad in places and we don't strictly follow the ridgeway at the start (for walkers only). It was pretty good at a nice easy pace. Rained like hell for the last half day on the worst maintained section - was a bit nuts. Turned up at a pub for lunch and thought we'd be refused! Roughly 90 miles with lots of historical interest, good views and red kites etc.

Nigel E5

Post  Nigel E5 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Mark
    I am posting to lead a ride here now!
    Could do one of the next 2 weeks rides, as I see a opening. I would do a singletrack special up on the Surrey Hills.

Hoped you liked the Ridgeway, you always get historical stuff with C J
    On_One_Ti_456

Post  On_One_Ti_456 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 am

Nigel E5 wrote:Hi Mark
    I am posting to lead a ride here now!
    Could do one of the next 2 weeks rides, as I see a opening. I would do a singletrack special up on the Surrey Hills.

I was going to suggest something along these lines to Mark, so if you're happy to lead then that would be good. Looking at the calendar, this Sunday looks to be free, if you can make that? Are we going to meet-up somewhere, rather than ride from Godalming?

Greg.
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 pm

that would be great nigel. sadly i will be hungover on sunday am as i'm going to the 'back to the 80's' gig at charterhouse on sat night (and have the in-laws to stay).

put the details into a fresh post. ridgeway great. company great. weather mostly ok.

thanks for the text greg.

ian

Post  ian on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:35 pm

IF ....IF I can make it: What and where from?
    I'm not really sure if I remember how to ride off road anymore so please bear with me if I turn up.

Nigel E5

Post  Nigel E5 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 am

Can I start from Bramley Old station CP or do I ride over to Godalming, alternatively could the group ride over to meet me at Bramley.
    Suggestions please.
    Mike

Post  Mike on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:20 am

Just back from hol, so only just seen this thread.

I'd like to echo Greg's thanks to Mark for all he's done for the Club in the past. (Also for letting me see his shed Smile )

I will try to sort myself out and put some ride-leads in soon.

Mike.
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:37 am

thanks mike. shed getting decked out with electrics and storage still. Guttering now on, fully insulated/double skinned and alarmed. Awaiting sofa from DFS. I will not be cold fettling in the winter that is for sure.

Nigel - When I was the bloke in charge (cough) my preference was always to start from Godalming as that is the historical expectation but i didn't stand in the way on the one occasion that someone else wanted to do this (Heinz from Albury).

up to you, perhaps it is time for a change/more flexible approach to reach more singletrack on sundays (saturdays do start from different locations)? - just post the details as a new thread here titled accordingly (would be what I would have asked when i was in charge).

wow - Ian may make it out to play. an honour indeed Wink
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:39 am

oops. you already have posted lol. should have read that first i guess!

Nigel E5

Post  Nigel E5 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 am

Nigel - When I was the bloke in charge (cough) my preference was always to start from Godalming as that is the historical expectation but i didn't stand in the way on the one occasion that someone else wanted to do this (Heinz from Albury).

I came to the same conclusion so I posted to give as much notice as possible.

ian

Post  ian on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:15 pm

So assuming 9.00 start at Godalming 9.30 at Bramley stn should do the trick

Nigel E5

Post  Nigel E5 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:03 pm

No! read the ride post Rolling Eyes
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:21 am