The temporary forum for VC Godalming & Haslemere

Thinking of joining - advice sought

Thinking of joining - advice sought

Post  halfmanhalfsnookermachine on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi all

I am I suppose, a 'born again' roadie and have been riding again (consistently) for about a year. I have been thinking about joining a club for sometime but am a little wary for a few reasons and would appreciate some honest advice and feedback.

Firstly, being near 40 and with a young family, my time is precious so I ride when I can, not to any particualr training regime and generally do between 25 and 45 mile rides, averaging about 16 - 17 MPH dependent on terrain. At the moment, I am doing about 70 - 90 miles a week. With this in mind, do you think I could cope with the casual road rides, as they seem to be a bit longer.

Secondly, I have never ridden in a group and am a litle concerned about group ettiquette and embarrasing myself / causing consternation with more experienced riders.

Finally, my only other cycling club experience was off road some years ago when I was dropped in the middle of a forest with no map and a long way home unsupported, which to be honest, put me off clubs for a long while. I appreciate that your club makes a point of saying no one will be dropped, but the past incident still reasonates with me, and I don't want to appear an idiot on my first ride.

I will try and get to the introductory shorter rides, work permttting to get a feel for things. In the meantime, any feedback would be much apprreciated.

Thanks

HMHSM
    RobM

Re: Thinking of joining - advice sought

Post  RobM on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Take the plunge. You'll be fine and won't get left to fend for yourself (stick a map in your back pocket if you're really worried).
    daven

Post  daven on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi i am Dave the road secretary, email me on davenyss@gmail.com and I will get in contact for a chat. :-)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 26, 2018 1:44 am