VC Godalming & Haslemere

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The temporary forum for VC Godalming & Haslemere

4 posters

Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th

schpleep

Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th Empty Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th

Post  schpleep Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:20 am

May's Saturday ride will be a trip to Wales to ride the Crickhowell Meridahttp://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/crickhowell.php

If you've not entered this type of event before it's well worth considering. Multiple distances are offered and, as it's not a race, the atmosphere is quite relaxed as a few hundred riders head round the course. They're normally one big loop so not the same laps format as many endurance events. So you also get to see a bit of the welsh countryside as well.

I'm going to go to this one and I know Steve is up for it. Anyone else?

Full details here: http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/crickhowell.php

Lee
    stevep

Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th Empty Re: Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th

Post  stevep Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:30 pm

nice one lee,

i'm in, be good to sort a car share, ill need to confirm it with work but have booked a viano for the weekend, four comfy seats with roof rack for bikes or if only a couple then bikes inside. let me know.

i enjoyed the one i did one a couple of years ago, looking forward to it, it was well supported with water and energy drink at a couple of spots depending on the distance and lots of cake, which is always good.

ive ridden around crickhowell before too, nice spot, be interesting to see what course they come up with.
    IanM

Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th Empty Re: Merida Event: Crickhowell, May 16th

Post  IanM Sun May 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Lee,

I'm up for the 50k course and car sharing.

Must admit the climbs look rather brutal, but the decents will no doubt be worth it.
    http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/2009_course_crickhowell.pdf

Cheers

Ian M
    schpleep

Post  schpleep Tue May 12, 2009 4:00 am

So that's 3 of us so far. Any more before we start on logistics?

I'm thinking a relaxed drive over Saturday afternoon, set up tents, have pasta and beer, ride Sunday...

L
    stevep

Post  stevep Tue May 12, 2009 8:57 am

sounds like a great plan, i especially like the idea of beer.

i've still got the mpv booked from work so if it's just us three then we can use that and get the bikes inside with us and no fuel bill.

chat later in the week.

sp
    Mark
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 am

have fun. i'm not fit enough for this at the moment.
    schpleep

Post  schpleep Fri May 22, 2009 9:17 am

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/home/news1.php#200910

Thanks to Ian and Steve for a top weekend in the pissing rain and cold in Wales Surprised)

That was quite the course 1.5hrs climbing to be greeted by sideways rain and an ice-cream headache wind was "character building" at it's best. Still the 2 wheels sliding at the same time mud and rock descent almost made up for it.

I haven't seen, ridden in, or eaten that much mud since.... Since the last time I was in Wales! Coincidence? I think not.

It was a good course though and would be stunning in the right (dry) conditions.

My bike suffered more than me in the end I think:
    Brakepads: 2 sets down to the metal and one set ready for the bin. (I rode the last hour back brake only)
    Gears: Jammed. Need new cable and outers. Jockey wheels also ninja starred.
    BB: Full of Mud (and still creaking?!)

Still, it doesn't get much tougher than that on a Merida so the next one can only be better ;o)

Who's up for another one?

Lee
    Mark
    Mark
    Admin

Post  Mark Fri May 22, 2009 4:02 pm

well i'm encouraged by your description lee Shocked
    stevep

Post  stevep Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:32 am

yup, you've just about summed it up there Lee, you forgot to mention that the 1.5hr climb was up a running river tho!

I got back from scotland yesterday and just looked at the bike for the first time since, terminal chain suck did for me, that along with overboots that were too big filling with mud, oh that and ralphs on front and back and, did i mention i forgot to take any spare pads?!? school boy error.
    thanks lee and Ian for a good weekend,

Selkirk looks good calendar wise, i know it's a bit of a drive, maybe a couple of beers sunday night and come back monday?????????

Selkirk Merida

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 pm