VC Godalming & Haslemere

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The temporary forum for VC Godalming & Haslemere

2 posters

Goodwood 21 June

ian

Goodwood 21 June Empty Goodwood 21 June

Post  ian Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:16 am

Well done Rob. Was it a sprint finish or were you in a break? Did you see a tall rider in black, red/gingerish hair. That was Ben from Cycleworks Haslemere. I haven't got the low down but he was upset as he said someone took a tow for the last 50 metres - that's racing for you.

Last edited by ian on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : metres not meters)
    RobM
    RobM

Goodwood 21 June Empty Re: Goodwood 21 June

Post  RobM Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:56 am

So here we are, back On Topic. Thanks for your good wishes. It was a sprint finish in the end. A few people, me included, tried attacking or bridging but on such an exposed course (a motor racing circuit around an airfield) the wind was so fierce around half the lap that no one or group was strong enough to stay away. After a few laps I decided to be patient, stick near but not on the front, and position myself well going into the final chicance. To be honest I've never had such an easy ride, and come the (tailwind) sprint people in front of me just died and through I came for a comfortable 3rd; almost unbelievable, but true.

I don't recall Ben, nor do I understand his issue. Taking a tow? I don't recall a late break, and Road Racing, especially on such a circuit, is all about saving energy until it matters, no?

Anyway, I'm now one happy 3rd cat veteran.
    ian

Post  ian Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:34 am

all about saving energy until it matters
    Exactly. And tactics.
    I think Ben (who is a strong rider) was miffed about someone taking a tow and then coming off his wheel but that's what racing is about.

So you are VCGH's best roadie now.
    ian

Post  ian Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Apparently someone collided with him, came off the bike but left his handlebars firmly attached around his seat post which slowed him somewhat!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 pm